As I mentioned earlier this week, tomorrow I am embarking on an adventure down to Jackson, MS to meet Mr. Mississippi’s family. (Thanks to Brooke of Determined Momma for the name suggestion!) I knew I wanted to bring something as a gift, and I knew that they weren’t drinkers, so a bottle of wine was out. I thought about making cupcakes, but I knew they wouldn’t survive the trip and still look pretty … which made me think to make cookies!
After doing some prying around from Mr. Mississippi, I found out his favorite candy is a Heath Bar so I went to work. I turned to my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and added a bag of Heath Bits ‘O Brickle Toffee Bits to make the perfect chocolatey toffee cookie.
So let’s get started, shall we? The first thing you are going to do is preheat your over to 350 and grease a cookie sheet. Then, in a small bowl we are going to combine flour, baking soda and salt. I like to put it in the sifter and sift everything together so it is nice and fluffy, but that isn’t necessary.
In a separate bowl combine your butter, brown sugar and peanut butter. Cream well until everything is combined.
Next, add in your eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
Pour in the bags of chocolate chips and toffee bits, stir with a spoon to mix in. Try not to eat all of the dough.
At this point I pop the entire bowl into the fridge. This helps to form the dough into balls, especially with the humidity in the south! I would put them in for at least five minutes, but you can definitely put them in for longer. Roll the dough into 1 1/4 inch balls (about the size of a ping pong ball).
Bake for 10 minutes and let cool. Try not to eat them all at once, but they are definitely addicting! Enjoy!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⅓ cup (8 oz bag) Heath Bits ‘O Brickle Toffee Bits
- 1 bag of semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease your cookie sheets.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, soda and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream butter, dark brown sugar and peanut butter.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and toffee bits.
- Chill for a five minutes.
- Roll cookie dough into 1-1/4 inch balls.
- Bake about 10 minutes.
- Place cookies on cookie rack to cool.